Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The start of some things new...

In case you’re still unaware of what’s happening in my life right now (that’s with the assumption that you’re most likely interested to know about how’s my life nowadays), I am currently living in Naga City (my birthplace and where I spent the 19 years of my life, more or less).

Firstly…
I am a part-time teacher at Ateneo de Naga University and I’m handling 2 IT classes (mostly first year college students) and I am teaching them Basic Accounting. I just started this June, 2007. Well, this is my first time to work as a teacher in a formal set-up granted that I have no formal teaching experiences whatsoever in the past. Although, I was a facilitator in OrSem and also a debater during college, which is an advantage for me since I no longer find it difficult to talk in front of a crowd (or in a class of 41 students for that matter). I am also a tutor sometimes.
I have no difficulties with the subject matter for obvious reasons. But honestly, I am having problems with classroom management particularly minimizing the noise of my students and passive class participation. Actually, these are generic problems amongst teachers but I never knew these are such serious matters to consider as a teacher. I mean, I care for my students’ learning and interest with the subject since they’re going to need it someday. Indeed, it is only after having graduated in college that you realize the importance of education. In addition, how it is less complicated and much simpler to be a student rather than be outside of the comforts of our alma mater. I tried silent treatment, screaming at the top of my lungs, extreme understanding and patience, psychological coercion, emotional blackmails, reverse psychology, warnings, imposition of punishments and anything under the sun yet to no avail I’m defeated. Is it really this hard? I know I tend to be optimistic and idealistic about everything that is happening in my life and that’s what I want for my students. I want to be a positive influence to them not only as their professor but also as a person who wants what’s best for them. Is that too much to ask of? Nevertheless, I will not give up!
I will always pray for them. And, all I know is that I won’t stop believing and doing what I think is best for them!

Secondly…
I am also a full-time Law student at University of Nueva Caceres. I studied Law because I was inspired by the Mangyans who are currently experiencing injustices and discriminations with the civil society and even with some people of the government who should be the first to protect and uphold their rights. Again, I’m being idealistic: a messianic view of valuing Indigenous Peoples’ rights and concerns. I don’t deny that fact! And besides, this is also a dream of my father who wants to have child who is a lawyer. Lastly, studying law is also for my own personal development and career growth as a CPA Lawyer. Good thing I had the chance to avail of the resident scholarship this semester for those who graduated with honors in college. So far, having great interest in reading is really an advantage for me because we have to read and understand volumes of books about laws and multitude of judicial cases to digest. In fact, I am actually enjoying reading civil, political and criminal law provisions and also various cases. In all honesty, I don’t have to push myself to read and it’s definitely not an unpleasant task, a no bore. With regards to my teachers, they’re just fine. Often times they are not around. I have nothings against that but one major setback for me is that I don’t feel pressured to make a big effort on my part to take my studies seriously. And that’s bad because I will be at the losing end since I won’t learn as much and know as much about the subjects before the semester ends. I know that I am old enough to be disciplined and to study without regard of my teachers. But sometimes I can’t help myself but be lazy because there’s no sense of urgency to study. I know it’s not a justifiable reason yet it’s so true! One good side about this is having a chance to bond with my classmates, potential new friends. Imagine, we already formed study groups, set-up a yahoo group and agreed to have Saturday night outs dinner. It’s a promising friendly relationship. We’ll see… I was also amazed that I know most of the people (or people who knows me) who are studying law at UNC. Most of them are familiar faces. Definitely studying law is within my comfort zone.

Naga again after 3 years…
Since Naga is a small city, as expected, I usually bump into people with familiar faces (i.e. friends, former classmates, batchmates, schoolmates, teachers and acquaintances, etc.). And it’s wonderful to be able to talk to them again, be updated of what had happened and what is happening with their lives and to be with them. I really missed the people in Naga. I do love it here! Plus, I am meeting a lot of new individuals especially my students at Ateneo and my classmates and schoolmates at UNC. I am so happy when my students greet me and talk to me outside of class. And I am at ease talking and sharing my life with people who are strangers-no-more. 

After JVP…
Still, I am not discounting the fact that I’m utterly MISSING all the people I met and love in my area of assignment, my batchmates and the formation staffs, JVP alumni and the JVP community as a whole. All the blessings, hugs, TSP, masses, 5S, fun and games, the mishu, mishu, the SOLID! batch, just visiting Philippines adventures and all the laughter, tears, stories, reminiscences and EVERYTHING… I can only give endless thanks and prayers to everyone. I will treasure them forever and my JVP experience will always be in my heart. Undeniably, it is in letting go that I will be able to hold on through memories.

What’s next?
Aside from teaching and studying, definitely there will be lots of traveling for me with my family and friends. To have constant communication with my JVP family and my Mangyan family. And I’m looking forward with the JVP Batch 27 grand reunion. To continue inspiring people in serving and loving God and His people. To LOVE. To SERVE. Embrace the vastness and beauty of LIFE! Go!

This is a new beginning for me… a start of something new… and I know, as always, I will make it through…

Kudos! Aja, aja! Carpe diem guys!

6 comments:

  1. marami ngang changes sa life..good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey lhei! see you this weekend! bryan told me he saw you in UNC. and yes, we're talkin now. well anyways, what's not to?! =) all's well that ends well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. and btw, i so miss you already! mwah_mwah_mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm..looking forward to talking to an ex as well..hahahha..maybe before this month ends..

    ReplyDelete
  5. tin! i was so happy to be with you again! labshu talaga!

    ReplyDelete