Friday, November 14, 2008

Texters, beware!

I got this text message yesterday morning (around 10.30) from an anonymous number:
"Kuya mo to pa pasaload naman ako ng 150 sa number na ito kc nawala yung cp at wallet ko para matawagan ko yung nakakuha."

But it was only around 1pm when I read the message because my cp was in silent mode.
After reading the text, my first instinct was of course to help because I thought it was "kuya mo" who actually texted me.

So I immediately replied with this message:
"kuya xenxa na. just read ur text. do u stil need the 150?"

I was really worried about "kuya mo" and because of the super late reply I thought he might have already asked help from someone else given the emergency nature of the text.

He texted back after a few seconds:
"Oo. Kailangan ko pa."

And I answered back:
"Sige. il send u d load in a wyl."

And he replied with:
"Ok."

Then as if an angel whispered through my ears saying to me "he's not kuya mo." And it dawned me that the text might be a scam just to get free loads.

So I read his text messages again and that is when I notice that the text was in Tagalog! The "kuya mo to," which I thought was "Kuya Mo" (short for Morris), actually means "this is your
big brother."  And besides knowing Kuya Mo he won't text me in Tagalog since we're both in Naga.

So for the last time I sent him this message:
"Garo bako ka man si kuya mo." (I think you're not Kuya Mo.)

This time there was no reply.

That was the time I realized I was about to be a victim of a text scam and its gonna cost me 150 pesos!

I'm sharing this to you as a concerned citizen so that you won't be a victim of another version of a text scam.

Please always be cautious of whatever text messages you receive from unknown numbers.

6 comments:

  1. hanep na to..dapat tgpost m oigdi number.. tpos i report ta sa subscriber nya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. iba ibang style na talaga kang mga scammers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hay ang bait mo talaga. nagtext ka pa ng "Garo bako ka man si kuya mo."

    ingat pirmi and i'll be in naga sa nov. 23-25. official business yan. dinner? 24 night, k? hehe
    see yah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nagamit pa kuta si Mo, hehehe. Kung si Mo yan, nag apod na yan ta iba baga si Mo, hehehe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. tsk!bait2 mo tlga ma'am!mxdo kang ano.hay nku.bsta un n un.buti nlng hndi mo n'loadn!kundi!Allowanc for Uncollectible Accounts na 'yun!=))
    ok lng yn ma'am.ingat nlng po plgi.ska always be cautious.

    ReplyDelete